Saturday, May 27, 2006

Hong Kong Part III

Pictures from the second visit to Hong Kong on the way back home.



My room at the JW Marriott in Hong Kong. I loved the corner view, but I wasn't in a corner room. And everyone room has a corner view. You'll understand in the below picture.


L-R: Conrad Hilton, Shangri-La Hotel, Swire Group (owners of Cathay) and the JW Marriott. It was zig-zagged all the way around giving each room a corner view. Very cool.


I loved the layout of my room. They took a small space and made it appear huge.


The Foreign Correspondents Club - a very old gentleman's club and still only to members only, a very British thing.


Lan Kwai Fong - the busy bar street, filled with ex-pats and locals. Didn't hang around here much. I was off to find a quieter place...


Look! I drove my car to Hong Kong. Someone with the exact same color scheme as mine: Indigo Blue, White Roof, Mirrors, Wheels and Bonnet Stripes. But no driving lamps. I was actually at the little place on the left, Bohemia, a very chilled live jazz bar.


I was walking around the next day through Hong Kong's interconnected buildings (you can walk between 10 or 12 complexes without touching the ground, really helpful in the rain) and I followed my nose to this smelly fruit, the Durian. This was in a super market that was cramped into the side of a building, with very narrow aisles. They had most of the products that you find here.


Awesome! A Ducati MH900evoluzione in store front. Now, if they had some guy's clothes in there, I might have bought something cause it certainly caught my attention.


L-R: IFC2, Four Seasons Hotel and IFC1. IFC2 is the tallest building in Hong Kong and with the heavy fog during April/May the people in top floors must not be getting a good view. How cool to see a building reach up into the clouds. I was thinking of the movie, The Fifth Element, with it's massively tall skyscrapers.


Central Plaza, another landmark in Hong Kong's skyline, surrounded by apartment buildings and again, lots of greenery.


Even their roadways incorporated lots of trees and greenery. Makes it look less like a concrete-jungle and more like a jungle-jungle.


A smaller fruit market, also selling bric-a-brac. The constrast in the items you can buy was really vivid. Right next door to this market is a mall with Prada, Gucci, Armani and the sort.


One of my favorite fruits: Mangostein. You squeeze the hard skin until it cracks and remove the semi-solid flesh inside and gobble it down. So tasty. I bought like a dozen and just had them for a snack.


Catching the tram...


Taking a Tram Ride across Hong Kong in the upper deck


Part 2


Taking the Star Ferry across Hong Kong Harbour to Kowloon, the mainland. It costs HK$2.2, which is about $0.30 and it's the best bang-for-your-buck tourist thing to do as you get an awesome view of the skyline, plus you get to experience the heavily trafficked waters of Hong Kong. Smaller boats have to yield for bigger ones.


My ferry boat was built in 1958! A long standing tradition in Hong Kong.


A daytime cloudy view of Hong Kong's famous skyline.


They've built a Avenue of Stars, something like Hollywood's Walk of Stars to celebrate Hong Kong Cinema.


Tourists on the avenue




I was looking for one of my favorite actors; Jackie Chan. I used to watch his movies when I was a kid, even the ones in Chinese with the funny English voice overs.


This guy was just floating along in his little boat near the shore. Seemed strange in these busy waters.


Ad for Cathay Pacific being chosen Airline of the Year


And of course... good old Bruce.

1 comment:

Anna said...

You are such a tourist LOL, camera ready all the time, AWESOME! I can see parts of the world without ever going there.

Anna